What I Also Read




Book #3: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. This was a better book than I expected, and I'm glad I read it instead of seeing the movie. Apparently, Afghanistan hasn't always been the bombed-out wasteland of random violence and corruption it is today.  Who knew?  Not me, until now, anyway.



Book #4: Vox by Nicholson Baker.  Sexy!  Also funny.



Book #5: Personal Days by Ed Park.  This is one of those McSweeney's / Believer guys, I guess.  It reads like something that, in a shorter form, would've fit in fine on McSweeney's.  Clever, surreal, and enjoyable when the cleverness and surreality didn't get in the way of the enjoyability.  This was the first book I checked out thanks to the NYT Sunday book review section.



Book #6: The Girl Factory, by Jim Krusoe.  This was the 2nd book I checked out thanks to the NYT Sunday book review section.  I felt it was neither as funny nor creepy as the premise had me expecting, but it was still pretty ok.  You can read an excerpt here if you like, and if the link's not dead.

Right now, I'm reading Wicked, on Catherine's recommendation, and it's going well, thanks for asking.  I'm almost done, and then I have to choose between World War Z, and God of War, two (I believe) fairly dissimilar books that I only just now noticed both have the word "war" in their titles.  My good friend Joe recommended the former, and the latter I read about in the NYT book review section.  I'll be tallying votes on which book I should read next between now and whenever I finish Wicked, which might be this weekend.

Comments

Mike said…
I vote for God of War. This is Mike and for some reason Blogger forces me to use this identity now.