2009 Reads, Eleven through Thirteen (11,12,13)

Indignation (2008) by Philip Roth
Sabbath's Theater (1995) by Philip Roth
Devil in the White City (2003) by Erik Larson

So we went to Hawaii and I wanted to make sure I didn't run out of good books to read. I brought along these three plus The Hotel New Hampshire, which I'm now reading, and Empire Falls, which Catherine's now reading. All three of these were good, in different ways. Indignation was a quick & easy read--I finished it in two evenings and it reminded me that I had meant to read a lot of Philip Roth this year. Sabbath's Theater was filthy, but unputdownably so, and in a literary way, ha. Devil in the White City was fascinating. I've had a few people (including one complete stranger in the hotel elevator who saw me carrying it) tell me they didn't like it--put it down after a few chapters, and I think that's because the book winds up being a lot more about the White City than the Devil in it. I didn't mind that so much, though...the story of the World's Fair was equally interesting, if less sensational, and I found out where PBR got it's name & blue ribbon.

Comments