2009 Reads, Fourteen through Sixteen (14, 15, 16)

The Hotel New Hampshire (1981) by John Irving
The Water Method Man (1972) by John Irving
Portnoy's Complaint (1969) by Philip Roth

Well, The Hotel New Hampshire was one of the best things I've stumbled across in a while. I found it a long time ago at the DI, and it sat on the shelf until I was talking to my buddy Ron & wondering aloud what-all books I was gonna take to Hawaii with me. He said he recalled that one being pretty good, so I brought it along. It's definitely my favorite so far of the John Irving I've read. It's hilarious and tragic and perfect, and it has bears. The Water Method Man, on the other hand, was good, but not as good as THNH. It was funnier and sadder both, but overall I just didn't feel it was as good of a story. Maybe not fair of me to read those two right in a row like that. Portnoy's Complaint is more of a rant than a novel. Ordinarily I like Philip Roth quite a lot, and this one is supposed to be his most popular book. I found it tiresome and difficult to finish. I was going to read Deception or Patrimony next, but I've opted for an Elmore Leonard book instead, since I feel like something I know I'll enjoy.

Comments