Laserfang / The Field / The Juan MacLean @ Urban Lounge, 06/11, $10

Having never heard of Laserfang, nor listened to the Juan MacLean, I went to the Urban Lounge to see The Field. Laserfang (not pictured) was pretty bad ass, as any band named Laserfang ought to be. The Field was pretty much exactly what I expected, only slightly louder. Instead of instruments, the guy mostly had a lot of boxes on a table. Also there was a bass player and another guy who tapped on things, mostly a big cymbal, mostly with mallets.

The Juan MacLean turned out to be even more bad ass than Laserfang and about twice as loud as The Field. I'm not usually a dance music guy, but I was very impressed. The drummer had really amazing corps-style chops, and Mr. MacLean himself played a pretty wicked theremin, which you can sort of see him doing in the crappy picture I took with my cell phone.

Comments